Friday, March 16, 2012

Unit 7 Blog Post

Hello to all,


My meditations this week were very relaxing and enjoyable.  I like to end my day with a good meditation and calm my mind before bed.  I find it helps me sleep.  I have always used meditation with the spiritual path that I walk as well.  It is comforting to see others benefit from it as well.  I think I will always meditate before bed.  It seems to be the best time to do it for me.


We were also asked to: describe the saying: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p.477).  


To me, this means that it is difficult to lead if you do not know where you are going.  It is also hard to find a place that you have not been.  In health and wellness that is why it is so important to be able to empathize with you patients.  I say empathize because most people do not want your sympathy they want and/or need your empathy.  They need to know that you truly understand how they feel and that it matters to you.  Sometimes it helps if they know how you helped yourself heal when you were unwell, or how you got more physically fit, or whatever your experiences was.  They need to know that you practice what you preach.  


We were also asked: Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your  health psychologically, physically, and spiritually?Why or why not?


I say yes.  It goes back to that whole: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself".  If you are not trying to grow in these areas how can you expect those who you care for to be motivated to do the same?


I personally implement psychological and spiritual growth in my personal life on a regular basis.  I practice my spiritual path daily.  It is easy to do when you have found the right path for yourself.  Psychologically I take the time to self evaluate and look at things from other angles.  I also talk things out, keep a journal, and if things are really bad and I need a little help, I ask for it.  If this means going and talking to a therapist I do.  Usually I can work things out on my own and my life is really good.  there is not much to complain about and that makes me very happy.


---Anita Rachel Scott (Goehring)

References:
E.S. Dacher M.D. (2006). Integral Health, The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

M. Schlitz, T. Amorok, M.S. Micozzi (2005). Consciousness & Healing, Integral Approaches to Mind-Body Medicine. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier, Churchill Livingstone.

10 comments:

  1. Good morning, Rachel!
    I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that people don't want sympathy, they want/need empathy. This very thought makes me thankful for various trials I have gone through. Though not enjoyable at the time, I am truly thankful for the ability to walk alongside others experiencing pain I've already lived through! I think most of us find comfort in seeing someone who has "made it through" to the other side of something!
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi,

      I think the same way. We are given what we can and need to handle so that we can help the next person with the same or similar experience. It was just our turn. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have to give it to you I feel I need to try harder everytime I read your blog. You are way ahead of me when it comes to all of this. I am but a babe in the woods when it comes to meditation and such. I can tell you this dont try meditating on the highway on the way to work. I zoned off the other day with a two hour drive ahead of me doing some deep breathing and found myself so relaxed with the sound of the ocean filling my ears through the speakers I almost fell asleep. As for you blog I have to agree you cant lead where you have not gone yourself Its like a drunk leading an AA meeting. Sure he can tell you why you shouldnt drink but no one will listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,

      I would like to share one of my favorite sayings with you. "Remember, Experts were once Beginners." :)

      Delete
  3. Rachel,
    Thank you for your post. I like what you wrote about empathy. We should try to understand and then assist. Sometimes you can sense what is going on; see it in their eyes, hear it in their voice, see it in their body language, feel it in their touch, or pick it up in their energy. I’ve been given many opportunities to experience the many nuance from many different people. The next thing is getting the people I work with to; empathizes and not patronize, and dismiss total skepticism, this is the challenge. Every year we volunteer for the Veterans Village/ Wounded Warriors Stand Down Event and we are out there for three days. We work along side many different body workers and healers in an alternative medicine tent. I remember trying to get one of my staff members to come out and help us. She was against it, she could understand putting forth the time, effort and energy towards those who won’t help themselves. After I sat down with her and explained whom we were working with,- and what they have been through and are going through-She opened her mind, after she had the chance to meet and speak with a few. When we showed up to the event and she witnessed, support, camaraderie, gratitude and positive energy. There was a banner that summed things up for her and anyone that read it –. ..Giving a hand up, not a handout-. She started to empathize with the participants and that changed her old views.
    I will have to add that there are those that prey on empathy or put up a false front, which can be unfortunate. I guess that would be the next question to empower or to enable….
    Thank you again for your post
    Kevin W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kevin,

    That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anita,

    You offer great points in regards to the saying "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself". Did you find any specific benefits from the Aesclepian exercise this week that were different from those in the past? We have been offered so many great practices that can be used on a daily basis. Do you think you will continue to use any of the practices we have used in this class so far?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel

    I agree you cannot lead another unless you been their your self.People look up to others that have been there and lead a successful term of endearment during there journey,.I know I do.I am glad to hear you leading your own path to enlightenment

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way, how can you lead someone if you have not been in that situation yourself? You do not go to a hair stylist and ask them medical advice, or vice versa. Every professional is trained in their particular area for a reason.

    I too feel that the best time for me to meditate is at night before bed. The main reason, for me, is that is when the house slows down, the kids are in bed and everyone is happy. I then get my peace for the day. I have come to look forward to my meditation time and try to meditate each night before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I must say reading your blog gives me inspiration to keep trying when I feel I just want to quit... These last few months have been quite challenging and I am finding that my usual path has been twisted a bit in the wrong direction. Getting back on track will help tremendously. Your words of wisdom help me to better visualize what it is I need to do to get back to where I was... two steps forward and one step back? I am trying to just keep going forward, and I believe that with continued daily committment and practice I will soon be back up to par, and soaring even further!

    Thanks for your motivation....
    Marcella Gracer

    ReplyDelete